Wednesday, January 10, 2007

End of an era


So here is the dramatic commuting news. Today is my last day as a full-on, 53-miles-to-work-and-53-back, commuter.


This weekend, we are upping sticks and moving. My daily commute will have reduced from two and a half hours a day, to about half an hour to get to and from work (45 minutes in rush hour). My daily mileage will reduce from 105 miles, to less than 12 miles a day.


The house in Nottingham is being rented out, I hope that my nuisance neighbour doesn't bother the tenants. We are renting a flat near to Sutton Coldfield. We have promised our families that we will still come back to Nottingham regularly (especially my girlfriend's grandmother, who is very upset that we are leaving, and to whom we have promised we will visit most weekends).


I didn't mind the driving. In fact I like driving. But I don't like sitting in traffic. And other drivers (particularly in Vectras, Passats, BMWs and a variety of 4x4s) tend not to be too considerate to Nissan Micras. I will gain at least two hours a day - that is effectively one day extra per week. I will be less frazzled, I will have a better quality of life, and my girlfriend will get to spend more time with me. I can start having hobbies again. I won't have to get up at 6am. And I will save thousands of pounds every year on fuel.


It will be strange. But I don't think I will miss it. I now hand the mantle of chief commuter over to JD...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home