Monday, October 30, 2006

Clubbing

I cannot think about clubbing without thinking about the episode of "Spaced" where they went out.

However, I rarely go out. For two reasons: one, I generally prefer to have a sit and chat and drink; two, I don't really drink much so often object to being surrounded by inebriated morons who have little sense of respect (for the record, I have been one of those inebriated morons in the past, so I feel thoroughly entitled to express such a holier-than-thou attitude).

However, at the weekend, two things happened. I got paid, and Nicola noticed that Roger Sanchez was doing a DJ set at Media in Nottingham. She had been to one of his DJ sets a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I also quite like the more eclectic dance music (i.e. stuff with a tune and a bit of groove, rather than than the thud-thud of most house music), so we forked out and went.

Yes, I enjoyed the music, and yes, it is fun to have a dance once in a while. But for me, by far the most entertaining part of the night was watching how the other half live. Seeing girls in ill-fitting clothing, and watching blokes try to pull them. It is highly amusing to watch. Obviously, there is the occasional problem that a minority of men will try and pull my girlfriend, even though she is obviously with me (if she wasn't with a man, then I could understand it, but for Gawd's sake, show some respect!).

Highlight was young-ish bloke, talking to blonde girl whose shirt probably had one button too many undone. He chanced his arm by putting an arm around her. She inched away, but didn't completely resist. He tried to turn towards her in an embrace, she turned towards him but kept a safe distance by putting her hands between their chests. Not long after, another bloke arrived and she snogged him. Young-ish bloke looked suitably put out, and skulked off to join his mates. "Boyfriend" has snog and disappears. Girl is left on her own so goes to talk to young-ish bloke and his mates, trying to encourage them to dance with her. One of his mates then starts the whole charade again. In the meantime, young-ish bloke does what can only be described as "going into a mard", turning away even when girl wants an innocent dance with him. I know this is a classic case of schadenfreude, but it is hard to be sympathetic towards some people...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home