Thursday, July 12, 2007

Any way the wind blows

I know a number of mothers, teachers and pet owners who say that, when the weather is windy, their progeny behave differently; as my sister-in-law might say, "they get a bit giddy".

There have also been suggestions that a full moon affects people's behaviour. According to my diary, we are actually in the waning phase, with a new moon due this weekend. However, people's behaviour in the last 24 hours has got me thinking that perhaps we are entering a rather windy lunar phase.

Firstly, I got home from work yesterday to find that someone had parked in my space. I don't have a driveway as such, but it is an allocated parking space right outside my front door. I spent some time debating about what to do - is it worth knocking on the neighbour's doors to politely ask their visitors not to park there in the future? I didn't do this as I didn't know who they were visiting, and I didn't fancy speculatively ringing seven different doorbells. Should I put a note on their windscreen proclaiming these to be resident's spaces? I did this once before on another vehicle and it seemed to have done the trick. I decided to wait for a couple of hours before doing this. As it was, the visitor left soon. I hope they don't do it again - if they do, then I will use the note. So, utterly inconsequential, but a bit annoying.


This morning was when the real action happened. Please observe figure (1):


  1. I was waiting to exit the T-junction (my car is the red one in the diagram - although it is actually black, this wouldn't have shown up well on the diagram). Someone waiting on the edge of the yellow box waited for me to go through, but as I didn't want to block the box, I hesitated.
  2. When there was enough space to go forward, I was cut up by the blue car, who went around me and cut in front (see blue arrow).

  3. I braked and beeped the horn. I didn't overdo it, it was just a warning "beep" (it doesn't help that, although my car is sleek, black and very sexy, it has the horn from Postman Pat's van).

  4. The blue car then proceeded to reverse until they almost (thankfully only almost) hit me. I thought for a minute that they were going to stop, get out and probably beat me up, but instead they zipped off into the distance.

I have to confess that I was a bit rattled by this incident; the roads were very congested and everyone was a bit impatient, but the driver of the blue car was firstly very impolite, then threatening and bullying. I hate to resort to stereotypes (actually, I don't, I was just trying to be tactful), but you will probably not be surprised to find that the blue car was in fact a 3-series BMW...

About 200 yards up the road, I saw another instance of someone trying to cut in front of someone while turning at a junction (this time in some kind of 4x4 SUV thingy - didn't see what make). This might be acceptable in that there London, but is not normal for this area.

And then I engaged in an amicable, but annoying game of cat and mouse - I was waiting to turn right at some lights, a car was coming the other way but didn't want to block the junction. So while they were edging forward, trying to see if there was enough space to get across the junction, I was edging forward because I thought they were letting me through. After about three goes, they let me through. I said thank you - not many drivers around here seem to do so...

1 Comments:

At July 13, 2007 11:16 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

I have to hold my hands up and say that I haven't looked at the Highway Code since I passed my test. And I was a bit wooly on the rules regarding yellow box junctions even then.

I doubt I am in the minority.

If its any consolation, the trains have been a bit up the spout this week.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home