Friday, July 21, 2006

Simple etiquette

As many of you know, I rather like music. But, what with one thing and another, I hadn't been to any gigs for a while (I think my last one was Belle and Sebastian in January). So when I got a text from our friend Julie, asking if we wanted to go to Junktion 7 to watch some unsigned bands, I jumped at the chance (despite another long, slow journey home from work doing its best to put me off).

We missed the first band, but the second one were a three-piece guitar band called Hinterland (I think - sorry if I have got it wrong). Their fist song was OK but unremarkable, sounded like the kind of rawk that Radio 1 like playing at the moment. Their second song was actually quite good, although quite long. The crowd were warming to the band, who then proceeded to undo all their good work by spending the next two or three minutes talking to each other, rather than playing a song. As they were talking into the microphones, they were really quite stupid to insult Nottingham, making the by now tiresome references to the supposed gun culture, as well as saying something unmentionably insulting about Lea from Big Brother - I am no fan but that was uncalled for. They then proceeded to alienate pretty much every woman in the audience. At this point, I lost patience and repeatedly shouted out to them to "play a ****ing song". Eventually they did. Within two or three minutes we left the venue to go downstairs for a drink, and shortly afterwards a lot of other people also departed.

Way to go fellas. You did the equivalent of going to someone's house, letting them make you a cup of tea, and then proceeding to say how crap you think the house is, how the location is awful, you have made a terrible job of decorating, and then finally pointing out that you think their wife is ugly. I am not convinced that they will ever be welcome back in Nottingham again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home