Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The perils of commuting

My latest article for the BBC is about how hard life can be when you have to commute to work. It even includes a couple of sexy pictures of me!

Click here to read it.

If you have any views on this, then you can of course leave a comment on this blog, but the lovely people at the BBC have also set up a messageboard relating to the topic (see the links in the article).

I have also a written a Forest report, covering the difficulties of this season in League One (the third division). Click here.

Again, it would be great to hear your views, just click on the "Comments" link below.

2 Comments:

At May 11, 2006 11:21 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We at islington, from the bottom of our hearts wish that you get a life. Does that make any sense to you??? Get back to us when you have one....

 
At June 06, 2006 10:55 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

Rish you have my every sympathy. Commuting can be a cut-throat business. I have to say that, despite my many gripes about London's transport system (see my own blog) at least I can read books while I'm travelling. And of course you can use your elbows, not an option when you're being cut up by some suit in a BMW.

I actually quit London a couple of years back to cut down on commuting time and took a job in Hertfordshire only 16 miles from my home. It wass cruel irony that my first week happened to be half-term, so the roads were all but empty, and I was at work in 20 minutes flat.

A rude awakening was in store for
me when the little darlings went back to school. It got steadily worse to the point where it was taking over an hour to get past 2 roundabouts on to the M1. I lasted 6 weeks, then headed back to the Smoke, my tail between my legs.

These days, I take great pleasure form observing the brattish behaviour of the (presumably) perfectly decent people I travel with daily. My wife came into London with me recently for a course, and more through luck than judgement we happened to be in exactly the right spot on the platform when the train pulled in. As we sat ourslves down in the 2 remaining seats, and the masses crammed in behind us looking around for something to lean on, she turned to me with a twinkle in her eye and said "It does give you a buzz, doesn't it?"

No matter what anyone says, commuting is most definitely a spectator sport.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home