Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Scam



Just something to be aware of. I recently advertised one of my cars on the Autotrader website (a Volvo 480 from 1988, since you ask).

I had "interest" from two people via email, saying that they want to buy the Volvo for relatives overseas. They said that they wanted to pay by Banker's Draft, but overpay, to include the shipping fee.

I had my suspicions, but both provided a UK address and telephone number.

However, one of my colleagues said that she had a similar experience selling her old car on Autotrader. Apparently they rely on you releasing the car before the payment clears, and paying the shipping fees upfront (which, obviously, I would never do). It then turns out that the "Banker's Draft" is fake, and they have got a free car and not paid for the shipping.

So I ended up emailing both my "sellers" to say "sorry, but someone else has come in and offered me cash upfront", and I never heard from them again.

A cautionary tale. The scary thing is that if one in ten people fall for it, it is still worth their while. So remember kids, if it looks fake, and smells fake, it's probably fake.

For the record, the car didn't sell, so I am waiting until the end of the month when I will get it taxed and MOT'd, and I am going to keep it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home