Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Daily Grind

As many of you may know, despite living in Nottingham, I work for UCE Birmingham. According to my dashboard computer, it is 52.6 miles each way. It usually takes me about an hour each way, although I try and time my journeys so I avoid the traffic.

This morning it took me three hours between leaving the house and getting to my desk. The M1 was clogged, so everyone took the M42. When I tried to leave the M42, the A453 was clogged because everyone who usually took the M42 tried to take the A38 instead.

The moral of the story? Don't commute if you can avoid it - I will be expanding on those thoughts in a forthcoming article on the BBC Nottingham website...


ADDENDUM - 26th April

Just to let you know that it took an hour and forty minutes to get home last night. So I was at work for six hours (luckily I had some time in lieu so I won't have to play "catch-up" too much), and spent nearly five hours on the road.

This morning it took me an hour and a half to get to work. For the first time since I started commuting (sixteen months ago), it is really starting to get on my wick...

2 Comments:

At May 13, 2006 9:10 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Rish, life is such. If all of us had place of work and home in the same city, world would have been a different place to live.

Keep trying for something n Nottingham and till such time nothing happens , all I can say is "Good Luck" and drve safely

 
At June 06, 2006 10:43 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

Rish you have my every sympathy - I saw in a previous piece that you were weighing up the pros and cons of commuting by car or train, and I have to say that,despite my many gripes about London's transport system (see my own blog) at least I can read books while I'm travelling.

I actually quit London a couple of years back to cut down on commuting time and took a job in Hertfordshire only 16 miles from my home. It wass cruel irony that my first week happened to be half-term, so the roads were all but empty, and I was at work in 20 minutes flat.

A rude awakening was in store for
me when the little darlings went back to school. It got steadily worse to the point where it was taking over an hour to get past 2 roundabouts on to the M1. I lasted 6 weeks, then headed back to the Smoke, my tail between my legs.

So to echo Ranjan's sentiments, best of luck finding something closer to home.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home