Monday, January 23, 2006

What would you do?

Back in November, Nicola and I were driving home on a Sunday night, when she said that she saw someone collapsed at the side of the road. I turned around and got to investigate. I called 999, and panicking slightly, asked for the police. The man was obviously very drunk, he was passed out on the pavement over the road from the pub. Some other people walked past and called 999 again and asked for an ambulance. The ambulance operator ran through simple first aid tips until two lots of paramedics arrived (one from my call, one from the other). By this time, the man was coming around, and the paramedics carted him away.

Last night, Nicola and I were driving home on a Sunday night, when we saw a man collapsed in the middle of the road. Someone driving the other way also stopped (well, it was either that or run over him). As we went to check on the man's condition, two or three other people also stopped. I went to call 999, during this call the other people decided that as the man was "just very p*ssed" and told me to leave it. By now, the man had got up, staggered about and collapsed again).

After getting off the phone, I went to attend to the man. From his slurred speech, I was just about to make out that he was from Latvia. He had a cut to the bridge of his nose, and was going on about cash machines and money a lot. I wondered if he had been mugged. He had wet himself, and could barely stand, let alone walk. He wasn't making much sense, so I just tried to keep talking to him, while not getting too close in case he lashed out (given his state, this was a possibility).

The paramedics arrived very quickly, and started trying to make sense of it all. I left him in their capable hands.

When we got home, it suddenly dawned on me that not only had the other people left him, but they wanted me to as well. I have no sympathy with him for being p*ssed out of his brains, but if we had all left him, he could have been run over or caught hypothermia (the temperature was close to freezing).

I don't think of myself as a good Samaritan - I like to think that most people I know would have done the same thing. But all these other people were happy to abandon him. I am not sure what the point is, but the whole episode leaves me feeling slightly uncomfortable and raises doubts about the nature of human beings.

I would really like to hear your thoughts on this - just click below to leave a comment.

7 Comments:

At January 23, 2006 5:47 pm , Blogger Rish said...

My colleague POD says: "I would help anybody in that situation. That is my instinct. Sod the consequences".

Good on yer.

 
At January 24, 2006 3:51 pm , Blogger Joe Williams said...

Agreed.

 
At January 25, 2006 11:27 am , Blogger Baz said...

Agreed.

What goes on on Sunday nights in Nottingham though?!?

 
At January 25, 2006 5:02 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dunno. I am far too susceptable to suggestion (and, I suspect, poor spelling) and being told "Oh he's alright, leave him" I don't know that I wouldn't have done just that. I mean, you know, I'd have no doubt revisited the incident in my head afterwards and I would have been worried about the guy and realised I did the wrong thing, but that's just me. Part of the problem with this particular situation is that so many of us have been bitten right in the butt trying to help drunk people (not literally of course, but ever had the drunk person telling the ambulance people to "f*** off and leave me alone" and them leaving without the guy?) that it's hard not be wary of the whole business.

 
At January 25, 2006 5:47 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you for stopping Rish. As for me, my instince would be of course to stop and help, but equally, I would I think myself also be worried about potential dangers vis a vis the person lashing out, or getting violent. Sadly, we live in a world now where self defence potentially gets a person into trouble. I'm sure we've heard stories about people who have rushed to the aid of somebody being beaten up, and delivered one or two knocks to the perpetrator in self defence in the process, only to subsequently be sued by the perpetrator!! Of course it is vital to be the good samaritan and help out, especially when the person needing help is defenceless or in poor health. However, I would controversially suggest that completely throwing self-preservation to the winds is a bit naive.

 
At January 25, 2006 5:48 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS:
Forgive my dire spelling. I'm trying to type without looking at the screen, and am in a hurry hence my failure to correct spelling mistakes!

 
At January 27, 2006 5:12 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Good Samaritans are not saints - they are people like you!
Interesting we use a case study very like this in Type Dynamics to work out the differences between people. And there is another exercise like this coming up soon relating to learning to reflect!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home