Thursday, December 08, 2005

Songs of the year

It has been a rubbish year for music. The quality of new music released has reached a nadir. The obvious highlights that come to mind have been:
  • The emergence of Kaiser Chiefs and Magic Numbers, plus a new album from Hot Hot Heat
  • I think that I liked Elbow's new single, but as I only heard it played once on the radio (while I was negotiating Sainsbury's car park, so was concentrating on other stuff), it is hard to make a real judgment
  • I like Athlete's new album, which was a bit of a surprise, as I wasn't really expecting to like it that much
  • Mylo deserves a mention, most notably for "Drop the pressure" (which doesn't qualify as it was released last year), and it's bootleg offspring "Dr Pressure"
  • I think The Killers' "Somebody told me" was released this year, but as it was a re-release, it doesn't really qualify (and the best bit is the keyboard segue between the chorus and second verse)
  • The band that impressed me the most were the Zutons - I didn't like them that much until I saw them supporting REM at the City Ground in July, and they were really good. I have listened to the album loads since, and really like it!
On a personal note, it was brilliant to see my friend and former musical colleague Chi Taylor enjoying such success with The Go! Team.

I am sure that there is a lot of stuff that I have forgotten about, but off the top of my head, these have been my favourite three singles of the year:

3. Amerie: "One thing"
2. White Stripes: "My doorbell"
1. Chemical Brothers: "Galvanise"

Let me know what you think - leave a comment!

7 Comments:

At December 10, 2005 6:44 pm , Blogger Joe Williams said...

Most of my music consumption this year has been old Number Ones (PLUG: How to Have 1000 Number Ones The Easy Way) but other highlights include:

- Arctic Monkeys
- Shaun Ryder on the radio again
- Madonna making a good record for the first time since 1999
- Stereophonics making a good record for the first time ever
- Kaiser Chiefs (especially since one of them used to sell me lager)
- Boards of Canada album (haven't actually heard it yet but it's great that there is one)
- Laura Cantrell album
- Hot Chip ('Coming On Strong' album came out last year but I only discovered it in 2005)

The best of all was of course the Crazy Frog, but I was there at the beginning before he was popular so I can't count that for 2005.

Looks like I thought it was a much better year than you did.

 
At December 14, 2005 9:05 pm , Blogger Baz said...

Madonna making a good record for the first time since 1999?!?

1999?!?

19?

99??

1989 more like.

And probably 1986 if you mean a decent album.

 
At December 17, 2005 4:46 pm , Blogger Joe Williams said...

'Beautiful Stranger' was good in 1999. 'Frozen' was good in 1998 (just listened to it as it happens).

Apart from those two, you have to go back to 'Like A Prayer' in, yes, 1989, for anything decent.

'Hung Up' is (much) better than 'Frozen' or 'Beautiful Stranger' so it is her BEST record since 1989, but not the only GOOD one.

Hope that's all cleared up now.

 
At December 19, 2005 2:20 pm , Blogger Rish said...

It would be ultimately forgettable if it wasn't for the ABBA sample - so fair play to whoever thought of that!

Baz nicked my Madonna CD, claiming it as his. In fact, Dad bought it me as my first CD, and Baz wanted "Fore!" by Huey Lewis and the News.

I don't get the Arctic Monkeys.

 
At December 20, 2005 12:16 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rish, thanks for making a note on me. It's been a very busy but pretty amazing year indeed. Can't believe last time I saw you was at my gig in February - Really hope to see you again soon.

Song of the year for me by the way is, believe it or not, "Dragostea din tei" by O-Zone; it's a song that goes "Ma-i-a hi, ma-i-a hu, ma-i-a ho, ma-i-a ha-ha"... I know lots of people think it's a rubbish dance tune, but it does make me want to dance!

There are some good songs used in Japanese anime series too. chix

 
At December 20, 2005 10:37 am , Blogger Rish said...

Hello Chi,

Unfortunately "Dragostea din tei" (hope I have spelt that right) was from 2004!

Don't like it much myself, but it is a fine example of how to make a catchy, trashy, Euro-dance song.

 
At December 20, 2005 3:25 pm , Blogger Joe Williams said...

"whoever thought of that" was The producer Stuart Price, aka Jacques lu Cont, aka Les Rhythmes Digitales bloke etc.

I saw Les Rhythmes Digitales live in about 1999 on the NME tour - awesome. Two DX-7s!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home